Saturday, March 7, 2015

[Brunch revisits] Founding Farmers in Foggy Bottom, DC

"So...this is my third weekend in a row going to Founding Farmers for brunch."
Angela: *holds out hand and pats me*
"Are you trying to give me an intervention?"
"No, take me with you."

Okay, so yes I've been brunching at Founding Farmers for the last three weeks in a row. But here's the dirty little secret - I have absolutely no regrets (though my wallet is singing a completely different song.)
I've mentioned before that Founding Farmers is my favorite restaurant in DC and whenever I have people visiting from out of town making that coveted week-early reservation is top priority. Although I enjoy the uber affordable breakfast at sister-store Farmers Fishers and Bakers, I have yet to bring myself to shell out the $30 for their breakfast buffet (though I'm sure it's worth every single penny.) 

Founding Farmers on the other hand serves a more traditional version of brunch (but with the complete quality and flawless execution that's become their standard and trademark - who else can make just bread and eggs taste so delicious?!?!?!)
I was only able to bring my camera to capture one of my brunchin' adventures, but I can assure you that everything is absolutely delicious! If you're strictly here for the brunch menu, it's served until 2PM, but if you want a little mix of both the lunch + dinner menu is served from 11 AM onwards.

Some quick recommendations are:
  • Uncle Buck's Beignets: if you know me in real life and still haven't heard me rave about these giant clouds of perfect then do you really know me?
  • Chicken & Waffles from the lunch + dinner menu: yes, there is a difference! Any southern gal will tell you that chicken & waffles taste best when it's made with bone-in cast-iron skillet fried chicken and that's exactly what the portion from the lunch + dinner menu serves! The brunch version is a bit cheaper, but uses chicken tenders so I say spend the extra $3 and get the good stuff! Portions are HUGE so you can definitely share with a friend (or a small country.)
  • Farm Breads: when you get a choice of bread, always choose the ciabatta. Founding Farmer's house-made ciabatta is the perfect mx of slightly sour yeasty goodness, chewy-yet-airy interior, and perfect crunchy crust (see below or here
  • Skillet Corn Bread: it's in a cute little skillet and has little corn kernels in it! 'Nough said.
  • Red Velvet Pancakes: I think the name speaks for itself. Absolutely massive, bright red pancakes topped with a cream cheese drizzle. Perfection.
  • Anything with bacon: Like the ciabatta, Founding Farmer's bacon is so normal yet so...exceptional. Thick and meaty, it's absolutely ruined all other types of bacon for me. Oh and insider tip: upgrade and get it black pepper maple glazed. Yum. 
To be honest, if I were to give you a full list of recommendations, then I'd just be handing you the Founding Farmer's menu. No, I'm not sponsored but that would be nice -nudge nudge- (along with a lifetime supply of beignets, please and thank you!) But enough of me babbling, I'm sure you guys just want to see the food.

Goat cheese & beet hash // onion + bell pepper + hollandaise + poached egg + ciabatta // 12
Lately I've really taken a liking to goat cheese (spinach + strawberries + goat cheese + slivered almonds with a poppyseed dress = absolute perfection!) so the goat cheese and beet hash immediately  popped out at me. Topped with two perfectly runny poached eggs and a light touch of hollandaise sauce, it's a riiiicchhh way to start off the day. Tangy and earthy from the toppings in a sea of perfectly browned and crunchy leek hash browns - the flavors are decadent but I did not end up feeling heavy or weighed down!

Founding Farmer's breakfast // two poached eggs + leek hash browns + black pepper maple glazed bacon + ciabatta // 12
Angela has made a reappearance on the blog! A couple things about brunch with Angela: she shares my love for Founding Farmers, she loves her bacon, she always gets poached eggs. Even though just about every place that serves brunch has a similar plate to this, Founding Farmer's quality makes it stand out. Every bite was delicious, fresh, and well prepared from start to end. 
Founding Farmers
Founding Farmers on Urbanspoon
1924 Pennsylvania Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20006