Monday, March 9, 2015

Keren Restaurant & Coffee Shop in Adams Morgan, DC

I'm always down for some good finger food.

Though I almost always default to Ethiopian coffee (a good friend and I just had a coffee origin/preparation debate today), my Eritrean/Ethiopian dining experiences are rather limited. On a good day I may be able to differentiate between a wat and a tibbs, but let's be real - I rarely have many "good" days. 
Keren is a rather small shop located halfway between Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle. It's one of those small little hole-in-the-walls that are easy to pass by, keep your eyes peeled for that discreet sign because it's a place worth paying a visit to!
Veggie combo with enjera // lentil sauce + shiro + cabbage + spinach + potato with carrot + house salad // 10.99 
I would highly recommend any of the combo platters for anyone who is new to Eritrean/Ethiopian cuisine and wants to try a little bit of everything. Served up on a piece of injera (with more injera on a side plate), every bit of food was absolutely delicious, flavorful, and offered a different taste profile. It's a huge portion that could easily feed two (or just take it back home to very grateful roommates).

Ful with tuna // mashed fav beans +  tuna + tomato + red onion + jalapeƱo + yogurt + olive oil + berber // 6.49 
I don't know of any other places in DC that serves Eritrean  breakfast food, so of course I had to give it a try! Ful medames is a common breakfast food in Egypt, Somalia, Saudia Arabia, Yemen, and of course and Eritrea and Ethiopia. Keren usually serves this with their French bread rolls, but I asked for injera instead. It's hot, lightly seasoned (yet oh so flavorful), just fresh enough from the garnishes, yet delightfully soulful. I could eat this for breakfast more often.

One of the best things about Keren? The price! We were both stuffed to the brim and even had to ask for a to-go box and the bill came to just under $20 for the two of us. Sure, the Uber surge charge on the way home (can the snow stop already? Thanks) made up for any savings but I can't remember the last time I got a sit-down meal in DC for this cheap! I'll definitely be back.
Keren Restaurant & Coffee Shop
Keren Coffee Shop on Urbanspoon
1780 Florida Ave NW
 Washington, DC 20009