Friday, April 4, 2014

The wonders of a well-made bed

Trust me, I don't enjoy making my bed every single morning. Or rather, I don't actively look forward to it: when I'm in a rush to get out the door, the aesthetics of my room is the last thing on my mind. Sleep is always more important. Yup, I have my priorities straight.


Recently though, I have discovered a new life motivator. Well, maybe not a motivator, but certainly a hack. About two weeks ago, I started forcing myself to make my bed every single day and I can't tell you how much it has affected my sleep and productivity.

Not only does having my bed made first thing in the morning force me to get up and get some work done, I can mentally pat myself on the back for accomplishing something that I needed to do that day.  Though I'm not a big napper, one of my guilty indulgences is crawling into bed in the middle of the day and have a TV binge. Not anymore! I don't want to mess up my covers and then have to redo them all over again. Now if I want to watch a few episodes of whatever I may be into at the moment (and as of today it's Modern Family, just started and am in the second season. I love it), I do it at my desk. With all my books and homework staring at me. I don't binge anymore.

And finally, my favourite thing about having a well made bed: it feels so freaking good to slip into at night. I don't know, but there is something about smooth, tight sheets that is oh so satisfying after a long day. So long story short: make your bed every day. I have to keep this habit.