Saturday, October 4, 2014

Review: Georgetown Cupcakes, Georgetown University


Yes, I do believe that Baked and Wired makes the best cupcakes in DC. Yes, I do make fun of all the tourists lined up around the block every time I go past the M Street storefront. Yes, I prided myself on the fact that I had not yet ever purchased a Georgetown Cupcake (because they seem to always be at birthdays and campus events).




Yes - I broke. I waited in line. I took all those stereotypically "tourist" pictures. I bought my first (two) Georgetown Cupcake cupcake.

My roommate is an Australian exchange student and so of course I can't let her leave the country without having a Georgetown Cupcake experience, so I had (yes, morally obligated) to take her for her birthday. She chose a Salted Caramel and I got a seasonal flavour, Pumpkin Spice, and we split them in half.


Left: Salted Caramel, Right: Pumpkin Spice

And I'll admit - the Pumpkin Spice cupcake was pretty good (oh boy, here comes my inner 12 year old girl) and the size is a lot more manageable than Baked and Wired. But, yes, but, it's just not as god. I prefer a much lighter, fluffier cupcake with a more pronounced (read, not sweet but pronounced) flavour which Baked and Wired absolutely destroys Georgetown Cupcakes on.

The cupcakes were not too sweet, which is always a plus, but they were also more dense, but the denseness was well controlled and balanced with the right amount of moistness and a very even crumb. Good job, Georgetown Cupcake.

Oh, and I do admit - the store is super cute.

So would I come again? Certainly not on my own accord but if a friend or relative is in town to visit, of course! It's a must.






Georgetown Cupcake on Urbanspoon