Friday, April 11, 2014

Review: NuGO Slim Crunchy Peanut Butter


Taste: Like the Raspberry Truffle flavour I had previously reviewed, the Crunchy Peanut Butter bar errs on the less sweet side. It's enrobed in real (as the company loves to point out) dark chocolate, and yes, I can taste the difference. While the peanut butter flavour is lacking and somewhat artificial, the chocolate's delicious, earthy bitterness really comes through. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just wish that the chocolate coating was thicker.

Texture: This bar is essentially flavored soy nuggets enrobed by a thin layer of chocolate. Of course, that means crunchy, which I don't really enjoy. However, unlike the Raspberry Truffle bar, this one is not at all chalky and I was pleasantly surprised with the few peanut pieces the bar contained. Nice tough, NuGo


Nutrition: Can't complain. Oh yeah, this is one of the few bars that I have tried that is not at least somewhat whey based, so it's actually vegan friendly! Plus, it contains no artificial sweeteners. 17 grams of protein, 18 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fiber, 7 grams of fat, 180 calories.
Ingredient list: Slim Protein [Non-GMO Soy Crisp (Non-GMO Soy Protein, Tapioca, Calcium Carbonate), Non-GMO Soy Protein, Non-GMO Rice Protein], Bittersweet Dark Chocolate (Chocolate Liquor, Cane Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Vanilla), Chicory Root, Vegetable Glycerine, Peanuts, Chocolate Liquor, Peanut Flour, Almonds, Peanut Extract, Rice Bran, Natural Flavors, Microcrystalline Cellulose and Salt.


My final thoughts: 6.5/10 - It definitely ranks higher than the Raspberry Truffle bar. Now if only I could take the flavour of Raspberry Truffle and combine it with the texture of Crunchy Peanut Butter...would I buy it again? Maybe. It's not too expensive and has a good macro profile