Thursday, March 27, 2014

Review: Cinnamon Roll Quest Bar

One thing you may or may not know about me is that I have a thing for protein bars. While a lot of people may find them to be too dense, hard, chewy, or have a funny aftertaste, I just really enjoy them. True, some of the bad ones do have a strange aftertaste, but as for the dense and chewy aspect, that's actually one of the reasons why I love them so much! As a side note, I am definitely a chewy girl - chewy noodles, gummy candy, chewy granola bars, chewy cookies (oh gosh, heaven forbid the soft and cakey things people call cookies), the list goes on the on. Because I am always trying out new protein bars, I figured, why not just review them as I eat?

My favorite protein bar company/line thus far has been Quest Nutrition, so today I bring to you my review of the Cinnamon Roll Quest Bar. I am reviewing it on three criteria: taste, texture, and nutrition value.



Taste: The bar definitely has a cinnamon flavor, but alas, it is missing that cream cheese icing. It is just sweet enough (for me at least) to qualify as a wonderful dessert and satisfy any sweet tooth. I do wish that the cinnamon flavor was stronger though or it had some of that wonderful yeasty element that I associate with cinnamon rolls. Nonetheless, the flavor is delicious and one of my favorites. Oh, and no strange aftertaste!

Texture: As with all Quest bars, this one is dense and chewy, but I do find that it is one of the softer ones. Unfortunately for me, I like them super chewy, so I found this bar a bit too soft for me. I have tried it both microwaved and broiled and I must say, I do prefer it raw. As with any Quest bar, microwaving it makes it nice and soft while broiling it gives it a crunchy exterior and soft interior, but like I said, I just want my bar to be chewy! Oh, and there are small nut pieces scattered throughout, but I really didn't understand them and they aren't really noticeable.

Nutrition: As with any Quest bar, the nutrition content is fabulous. 20 grams of protein, 25 grams of carbs, 17 grams of fiber, 6 grams of fat, and 170 calories.
Ingredient list: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Almonds, Water, Erythritol. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Stevia, Lo Han Guo, Natural Flavors, Cinnamon.
My final thoughts:  8/10 - Not the absolute best, but still delicious and worth a try! One of my top 5 favorite Quest flavors.