Friday, July 24, 2015

Eat food.

Fun fact: I haven't read fiction in years (for pleasure at least); I'm more of a non-fiction, documentary type of gal. Lately my obsession has been Michael Pollan and three books in, I'm determined to finish all the rest he has written.


One of his most well known quotes is "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants" taken from In Defense of Food and he really put an emphasis on eating whole foods - not necessarily things that your grandmother or great-grandmother would recognize as food (because I don't know about you, but my great-grandmother would not recognize cheese or peanut butter at all - it's one of those Chinese things) - but rather just focusing on eating real foods rather than the summation of their parts.

I'm guilty of this too.

Macro counting is insanely popular right now, whether you follow a clean eating approach or an IIFYM approach. High protein cookies, low carb cookies, low fat cookies, cookies made with just protein powder (are you freaking kidding me?!?! Gimme the butter!!!) and of course cookies are just used as an example, but what I am saying is that foods have been broken down to a summation of their parts so that a cookie isn't just brown sugar, butter, flour, and eggs...it's carbs, fats, and maybe a gram or two of protein (unless you're talking about protein cookies).

Whew, I said 'cookie' way too many times in that sentence.

But in all honesty, I just find it slightly disordered every single recipe I've seen lately as been a healthy-gluten free-paleo-high protein variation of a baked good with maybeeeee a smudge of chocolate chips or other "normal" food thrown in there optionally if the baker was feeling particularly adventurous (extra chocolate is never an option - it's a must unless there is an absolute shortage of chocolate going on).

The preoccupation with high protein is disturbingly real. The concern with manipulating and distorting basic recipes so that you can somehow fit it within the parameters of an arbitrary set of macros you give yourself is disturbingly real.

And I'm not saying that you should never have a set of protein pancakes again - in fact, I tend to have them multiple times a week (I add some extra egg whites to my normal oatmeal-based batter recipe, easy peasy!) but those foods shouldn't be a focus of your diet.

Trust me: No. Amount. Of. Protein. Cookies. Will. Ever. Satisfy. Your. Cookie. Craving. Your body and brain wants the dopamine rush from the buttery fats and caramelized brown sugar.

So eat food! Eat real food. Eat food the way they were supposed to be. Have plenty of fruits, veggies, lean and fatty meats. If you have room in your diet, have a cookie or two. Food is so much more than just carbs, fats, and protein.