Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Crumbs & Whiskers in Georgetown, DC


My life goals include owning two cats and a husky.


 
I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I am your friendly residential cat lady and before you all abandon my blog mid sentence raging about dogs, just hear me out: I'm NOT opposed to dogs (see husky clause above) but I just find something so attractive about cats. They're classy, soft, independent, and nap-enthusiasts - what's not to love?

Crumbs & Whiskers is one of the newest start-ups in Georgetown and it's definitely getting quite a buzz. DC, let alone the US has never quite seen anything like it; partnered with the Washington Humane Society, it's a cat cafe. Yup, you pay money to go play with kitties and perhaps get some baked goods or drinks if you're feeling like a sweet treat.

I have been anticipating the opening for weeks, but because I had to work double shifts during opening weekend, my visit had to be pushed back until the first Tuesday it was open aka yesterday. The space is small as is typical of the Georgetown neighborhood, but Crumbs & Whiskers operates on a reservation-based system, so the number of humans didn't seem to overwhelm the space or the  cats.


A cover charge of $10 on the weekdays and $12 on the weekends gets you an hour's play time with over 10 cats, though half of them will be sprawled out on the "human seats" napping at any given time. Small cushions and baskets of cat toys are spread throughout both floors for patrons to relax and play with the awake kitties and the store sells cat-themed merchandise as well. Just to fuel all of your feline-loving obsessions.


If you truly fall in love with any of the napping fur balls, most, if not all, of the cats are up for adoption through the Washington Humane Society and Crumbs & Whiskers will happily help you along with the adoption process.

But honestly, can I just has all of them?




Crumbs & Whiskers
Coffee, desserts | $
3211 O St NW
Washington, DC, 20007