Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Café Mangosix Coffee & Dessert in Duluth, GA

I am much, much too late to the hype.



You know when you return to your hometown during a break with a solid list of places you need to visit and things you need to do? All business, no survivors. That's me. I had been seeing pictures from Mangosix pop up on my personal instagram feed since last September so naturally it made it onto my all-too comprehensive list. 

Located in what I describe to my non-childhood friends as Atlanta's Ktown or Asian-central, Mangosix is a Korean café situated right next to Iron Age (for all your post-KBBQ dessert needs) serves a mix of desserts, drinks, frozen yogurt, and café foods like soups, salads, and sandwiches. It's quite spacious and has seating that accommodates groups of two all the way up to 10+.  


If I were to sum up Mangosix in two words they would be: bubblegum K-drama. The interior is trendy and modern, but I can't help but feel as if it was pasted straight out of a Korean drama, not that it's a bad thing. I actually quite enjoyed myself there. DC, don't get me wrong, I love all the eccentric independent coffeeshops, but this is one thing you're missin'.

Mangosix is most popular for its all-fruit based drinks and at $5.45 for a tall, they aren't cheap. My friend and I ended up splitting a mango+honeydew juice, which I found to be quite delicious and refreshing, but I'm still a bit apprehensive about the price tag. 

Pesto chicken panini // basil pesto + sun dried tomato + feta


Basil chicken sandwich // basil pesto + mayonaise + chicken breast + tomato + red onion + swiss cheese + romaine  


My friend and I ended up getting incredibly similar orders, both sandwiches served warm with a side salad. My biggest gripe with Mangosix was the service. There were only two other tables, but even then it took about 20 minutes for our sandwiches to be ready. In fact, they didn't even start making them until we went to the counter and asked how much longer it would take.

The sandwiches though were quite tasty and filling. I wouldn't come here for a protein-fix, for sure, but they were everything a café sandwich should be: light and relatively healthy.

I enjoyed my visit to Mangosix and I can see why it's so popular with the 20-something crowd, but quite frankly, I don't think the food quite lived up to the hype. The drinks are delicious, but with nearby drink places like Quickly's and Boba Mocha (and soon Sweet Hut) that are much cheaper, I can't see myself visiting just to buy a juice. However, I do think that it's a great spot social spot for groups, catching up with friends, or a post-dinner dessert fix. 


Of course I had to throw this shot in here. Thanks Umeki for buying me lunch. I had a great time (as always) catching up!

Café Mangosix Coffee & Dessert 
Cafe Mango Six on Urbanspoon
2131 Pleasant Hill Rd
 Duluth, GA 30096