Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Tryst in Adams Morgan

I think Busboys and Poets has finally met its match. And I don't know, it could be losing.


If you've read my blog for any length of time, then you'll know what Busboys and Poets is one of my favorite places in DC, but I've always found it a bit too crowded and noisy to be able to get work done in.

In comes Tryst.


Truthfully, I've been meaning to pay a visit to Tryst for a long time now, but never got around to it until yesterday when I decided to meet up with an old friend for lunch and good ol' girl time (you know, gossiping, talking about boys, the whole nine yards).

Located in Adams Morgan, while Tryst is a bit of a treck from Georgetown, it is located in one of my favorite DC neighborhoods and easily accessible via the Red Line. Tryst offers both indoor and patio seating and I can definitely see myself coming back when the weather gets warm again for brunch in the sun, but for now I think I'll just cosy up to one of the couches or tables inside.

So you get to Tryst and then what? Well if you are me, then you awkwardly dawdle in the front for a bit before you realize that it is self-seating with table side service, so you grab a menu and chose a sunny table (because natural lighting for the food shots of course).

Tryst's menu isn't too extensive and offers coffees, teas, brunch favorites like omelets, quiches, bagels, and waffles, and cafe foods like salads, soups, and sandwiches. What I really liked was that they offered almond milk as an option for their drinks, which is something I don't see that often. So of course I had to get it.

My dining partner and I ended up each getting an entree and splitting. Plus coffee and dessert of course.



Cafe Au Lait with Almond Milk // 3.25 + 0.75

Being lactarded and all that, I decided to try a cafe au lait (which is just fancy talk for espresso + equal parts water and steamed milk) with almond milk. It came with three cute little animal crackers, which I devoured headfirst, of course. Yes, I promise I'm a big girl. As for the coffee, it was wonderfully aromatic, not watered down, and after a semester of terrible school coffee, I was in for a great treat.

Nina // Chicken, spicy marinated onions, jalapeƱos, feta, mixed greens, kalamata olives, tomato, cilantro in a wheat wrap // 9

So many of the sandwiches sounded good so we decided to just get two and split them. The Nina was wonderfully moist and while it sounded very "Greek" to me, it didn't taste like a typical Greek chicken wrap. The sweetness of the onions, salty feta, a slight punch from the jalapeƱo, absolutely delicious!

I didn't manage to take a snapshot of the other sandwich before my friend starting eating hers (number one rule of dining with a food blogger broken), but we got the Keflom (Norwegian cold-smoked salmon + wasabi cream cheese + lemon juice + cucumbers + watercress on ficelle // 9.50) and oh my gosh, I don't think I've ever had a better sandwich. Think lox, but amped up, given an Asian-fusion twist, and put in between two pieces of delicious, chewy, slightly charred bread. Oh and the wasabi mayo? Absolutely made the dish. Can you just sell that to me by the bucket (meaning wheelbarrow) full?

Oh and see those (house made?) chips that come with the sandwiches? Do yourself a favor, forget about your diet, and just eat them. Thank me later.


Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake

We decided to spit a mini pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. Mildly spiced, creamy, rich without sending us straight into food comas. Yup, great way to end the meal.

And now to plan my second trip to Tryst. I'm aching to try some of their brunch items! There will definitely be another post in the upcoming future.

Tryst | Coffeehouse - Bar - Lounge
Tryst on Urbanspoon
Menu
2459 18th St NW
Washington, D.C. 20009