Friday, November 21, 2014

Filter Coffehouse & Espresso Bar in Dupont, DC

I think the North is finally starting to rub off on me. Lately I've been loving spending whole afternoons in cute little underground coffee shops, sipping on good coffee and getting massive amounts of work and studying done. Sure beats the library any day.



In my quest to find new study spots, I am determined to try out just about every coffee shop in DC. Yes, a daunting task, but definitely something fun, relatively inexpensive, and most importantly productive.

Filter was the first stop in my series of coffee escapades.

Tucked on quiet street off of Dupont Circle, Filter is a relatively small shop that offers hand-poured cups of single origin coffee. From pour-over to espresso or French press, come in the afternoon and each cup will be custom made for you. You aren't getting that mass-produced, stale tasting stuff here.




And the coffee, oh the coffee. Absolutely top notch.

Brazil Cerrado Gold // Snickers bar aromatics. Caramel and milk chocolate in cup. Full body with a mellow orange acidity // MP


Filter has a couple of different beans on rotation and on the recommendation of the barista, I got the pour-over Brazil. It took a bit longer than the typical Starbucks visit, which is totally understandable and I was in no hurry to leave anyways, but what I got in return was a beautifully mellow, earthy cup with a slight tinge or caramel aromatics and just the right balance of bitterness and acidity.


Seating is a bit tight in Filter, but I managed to snag a bar stool near the door and lingered for four or five hours before I headed back to school. Conclusion? Quality caffeine + great playlist + nice baristas. Definitely a place I would return to.




Filter Coffeehouse & Espresso Bar
Filter on Urbanspoon
1726 20th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009