Sunday, April 20, 2014

Review: Eatonville in U Street Corridor, DC

My trip to Eatonville was really quite an accident. To celebrate the last day of classes before Easter break, a group of friends and I planned to go to Busboys and Poets, but when we got there, the place was packed and the wait was over an hour, so instead we decided to just go across the street to Eatonville. Two of the people in my group had gone before and said that the food was quite good.

Eatonville was surprisingly full for 7:45 on a Wednesday night (though not nearly as full as Busboys), but we were seated immediately. After scanning the menu, I was pleased to find that it was both vegan/vegetarian and wallet friendly. Even though I am not vegetarian myself, I don't particularly enjoy meat and one person in the group was vegan while another was vegetarian.

Cajun Mushroom Loaf with Chipotle Glaze // Sauteed Brussels Sprouts // Braised Collard Greens // $12

Eatonville serves southern soul food with with a fancier twist for the DC crowd. On the menu were things like fried pickles, fried chicken, catfish, gumbo, jambalaya, and shrimp and grits. I ordered the Cajun Mushroom Loaf (vegetarian), which is supposed to be served with garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed brussels sprouts, but I substituted collard greens for the potatoes instead. The mushroom loaf itself was quite delicious and had a surprising spicy after burn. The texture on the outside was delightfully crispy, but the inside was a bit too soft for my liking. My side veggies were pretty standard, but luckily I love brussels sprouts and collard greens.

While the food was tasty, the service was really lacking. Even though everyone was extremely friendly, they were also so terribly slow. After we were seated, it was over twenty minutes before anyone came to take any orders. After we placed our orders, we waited another half hour for the food to arrive. When we finished eating, we then waited another 45 minutes after our plates were taken up for them to offer dessert or the check, which we had to split ourselves. Overall, we spent over two and a half hours in the restaurant and only ate for around 45 minutes.

Would I come back again? I'm not sure. The food was certainly good and had a great value, but I'm not sure if I want to wait that long again.

Menu
Eatonville on Urbanspoon